CAIRO: A tragic accident turned matrimonial bliss into a fatal union for a newly-wedded couple in Cairo last week.
Ibrahim Shalabi, 27, and his bride Nagwa Ahmed had worked for years to set up their conjugal home. They organized a wedding party that was attended by their relatives, friends and neighbors who escorted them to their new home, a rented flat in a new building.
But as the bride’s mother called on them the next day, no one opened the door in spite of the fact that she kept knocking for 15 minutes.
When neighbors managed to break the door open, they were horrified to find the bodies of the newly-wedded found lying in the hallway with a bare electric wire on the bride’s body.
Investigations showed that the couple were the only residents in the newly-built block that had not been as yet supplied with electricity.
They had to depend on an electric generator, but upon touching an electric wire in the generator Shalabi got electrocuted and as his new wife rushed to rescue him, she too was caught in the voltage surge.