By Heba Fahmy and Marwa Al-A’asar
CAIRO: Clashes broke out between hundreds of protestors and security forces in Galaa Street on Wednesday evening resulting in numerous injuries on both sides.
Hundreds from Boulaq joined protestors in Galaa, burning tires and trash in the street and throwing rocks at security forces that responded with teargas.
Protestors said it was a response to police violence as they tried to disperse a demonstration of thousands in Tahrir Square the day before.
The Wednesday demonstration was dispersed by plain-cloth thugs before protestors reached Tahrir Square.
Security forces had earlier on Wednesday surrounded protestors in front of the Lawyers’ and Journalists’ Syndicate and randomly arrested passersby and protestors carrying them in microbuses to unknown destinations.
More than 100 gathered in front of the Journalists’ Syndicate and were surrounded by several hundreds central security forces. Protestors who wanted to join were prevented by police. Around 14 were arrested.
Protestors chanted anti-regime slogans and attempted to break security cordons to march down the street. They were beaten with wooden batons.
Mohamed Abdel Qoddous, board member of the Journalists’ Syndicate, was arrested.
The protestors, many of whom were part of Tuesday’s demonstrations, said that this is the beginning of the “revolution” and that they are determined to achieve change.
According to activists in the protest, a Reuters reporter, Samuel Asha’y, was arrested by security forces.
Dozens of lawyers protesting in front of the Lawyers’ Syndicate were surrounded by hundreds of security forces.
Activists called for a second day of street action on Wednesday as authorities vowed to prevent further protests.
The pro-democracy April 6 Youth Movement, the driving force behind Tuesday’s protests, urged people to head back to Cairo’s main square Wednesday.
“Everyone needs to head down to Tahrir Square to take over the square once again,” the group said on its Facebook page — which along with Twitter had helped to organize Tuesday’s protests.
In a separate statement, it urged Egyptians to carry on protesting.
“To continue what we started on Jan. 25, we will take to the streets to demand the right to life, liberty, dignity and we call on everyone to take to the streets … and to keep going until the demands of the Egyptian people are met,” the group said.
But the interior ministry said further demonstrations were banned and anyone taking part would be prosecuted.
“No provocative moves, or protest gatherings, or marches or demonstrations will be allowed,” the ministry said in a statement. “Legal measures will be taken against violators and they will be transferred to the prosecution,” the statement continued.
Members of April 6 Movement said they would take to the streets regardless.
“We’ve started and we won’t stop,” one member told AFP on Wednesday. – Additional reporting by Ian Lee for Daily News Egypt and AFP.
Demonstrators clash with riot police during a protest in Cairo on Wednesday. (AFP Photo/Mohammed Abed)