Daily News Egypt

Wadi’ back in prison - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Wadi’ back in prison

Mohamed Wadi’ back in prison after being hospitalised for a month.

Mohamed Wadi’, an 8 April officer arrested for “supporting the revolution,” was moved back to military prison after spending almost a month in a psychiatric ward.

8 April supporters protest in Tahrir Square on 16 June. File photo/ DNE
8 April supporters protest in Tahrir Square on 16 June.
File photo/ DNE

“After spending a month in the hospital, they moved him back to prison. Officers like him, when they were sent to the hospital, they would spend two or three days in the hospital, then they would be free for the rest of the week but there is clear intransigence against my son,”  said Sana’ Sa’ad, Mohamed Wadi’s mother.

Sa’ad has been on a hunger strike since 3 October, calling for the release of her son, and has also sent a telegraph to President Mohamed Morsy. Eight other people in Dakahliya are also on hunger strike, in solidarity with Wadi and all officers who have faced ill treatment for siding with the revolution. According to Sa’ad, Wadi’ was in a poor condition when she saw him on Saturday and that a prison official had told him he will not be released any time soon.

Nisrine Yousef, from the Movement of the Supporters of the 8 April Officers, said once an officer is moved to hospital, they are expected to be released, which is why she doesn’t understand why Wadi’ was sent back to prison.

Morsy issued a law last week granting amnesty to those arrested for offences related to supporting the revolution, regardless of whether they are in the military or civilians. However Mohamed Eisa, a lawyer representing Wadi’, said so far there has been no indication that he will be released.

According to independent newspaper Al-Shorouk, Morsy said 21 of the 8 April Officers have been released and that the preparations for releasing the five remaining in prison are underway. However, Eissa doesn’t believe that the officers will be included in the amnesty. “No one knows anything,” he said.

Wadi’ has been sentenced to five years imprisonment for various charges. Following the release of a YouTube video detailing his story from inside prison, Wadi’said he faced harsher treatment. Mohamed Abdel-Ghani, the coordinator of the Movement for the Supporters of the 8 April Officers in Dakahliya, said after he released the video, he was assaulted and when the people started to put pressure on the authorities, he was moved to the hospital.

“They want the people to think that he is crazy,” he said.

Of the officers who took part in protests in April, May and November 29 were detained, 21 were released, three were retired and five remain in prison. Wadi’ is the only military officer still in prison for taking part in protests on 8 April. A committee will be formed to decide if they can resume their work in the military or be moved to administrative work.

Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter