Tagen rice with meat
- 2 ½ cups of rice – roz
- 1 kg veal, cubed – lah-met eg-l
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters – ba-sal
- 2 cups of milk – la-ban
- 1 tbsp ghee – sam-na
- 2 cardamom – hab-ba-ha-ni
- 2 bay leaves – war-ra lau-ra
- salt and pepper – malh and fil-fil
- Wash the meat well. Fill a deep large pan with water and bring to boil over medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, bay leaves and meat cubes. Boil for about 1-1 ½ hours until the meat is tender and done. After about 45 minutes, add the salt and pepper. Take the meat out of the broth.
- Wash the rice well and drain. Brush a baking dish that has a well fitting cover with ghee. Arrange the meat cubes in the bottom of the baking dish. Add the rice over meat.
- Strain the broth and pour it over rice. Pour in the milk. Use a fork to move the rice and meat slightly to allow the liquids to reach the bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the surface.
- Heat the oven to 190-200C. Cover the dish tightly with the lid. Place the baking dish in the oven and leave for about 30 minutes or until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid and becomes doughy.
- Remove the cover and switch on the grill. Broil the rice until the surface becomes golden.
If desired add ½ cup of sour cream on top of rice the after 15 minutes of placing the baking dish in the oven.