Cake with orange juice and almond
- 1 ¼ cups orange juice, strained – a-seer bor-too-an
- 125g butter, softened – zib-da
- 1 ¼ cups sugar – soo-kar
- 1 ½ cups almonds, crushed and ground – loz
- 2 eggs, beaten – beid
- 3 tsp orange peel, grated – ashr bor-too-an
- 1 cup semolina – se-mo-lee-na
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Butter a 20 cm diameter cake pan.
- Beat the butter and ¾ cup of sugar in a bowl until creamy. Add the beaten eggs gradually while beating. Add the orange peel and continue beating.
- Stir in the almonds and 2 tbsp of orange juice. Stir in the semolina then another 2 tbsp of orange juice. Stir well.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the remaining orange juice with ½ cup sugar over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for five minutes.
- Pour half the quantity of the warm syrup over the top of the cake while still warm. Leave for three minutes and then invert the cake on a platter.
- Brush the surface of the cake with the remaining syrup. Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top and arrange some almonds around the cake on the platter. If desired serve orange jam with the cake
Do not open the door to the oven during the first 30 minutes after you placed the cake in the oven to allow the cake to rise.