Amr Moussa and a bloc of thirty other members of the Constituent Assembly are threatening to walk out of the constitution drafting process. The main focus of discontent is the fact that the body is not being given sufficient time to consider amendments to the current draft-constitution.
In a statement issued by Moussa, he said that this timeline will lead to “broken and incomplete texts[which] will harm the interests of Egypt and the Egyptians.”
The statement does not announce the assembly members withdraw, but threatens it in a climate in which the draft is under stark critiques from all sides of society.
Ahmed Al-Hawaly of Al-Dostour Party said that his party has long been in talks with Moussa and other members of civic society within the Constituent Assembly to leave the assembly in protest. Al-Hawaly said, “Moussa’s statement shows that even they are reaching a stumbling-block that makes them see they can not resolve the situation from the inside.”
The statement says that in effect, only a single day was left to consider whether or not to have a discussion about amendments, which were proposed on Wednesday. Even those that are accepted for discussion, the statement points out, will not receive sufficient time for a critical and fruitful dialogue, which “makes these discussions an exercise in futility.”
Moussa’s camp said that Moussa is out of town this Friday and that there has so far been no response to the statement he issued.