On Wednesday a group of masked men attempted to close down Al-Sadat metro station, before being stopped by station security personnel.
State-owned news agency MENA reported that 20 masked individuals entered the station on Wednesday morning throwing rocks on the metro tracks, in an attempt to stop the metro carriages.
Spokesperson for the metro authority, Ahmed Abdel Hady, said the masked men entered the station at 6am and stood on the tracks in an attempt to stop the carriages. He added that the men had been apprehended by station security personnel and handed over to metro police.
Major General Mostafa Tamam, director of Metro police, refused to comment on the incident.
State-run Al-Ahram reported that the attackers were Tahrir Square protesters, who tried to close down the station to express their refusal of holding the referendum on the draft constitution on Saturday, as scheduled.
Four windows and four gates of one of the metro carriages were destroyed as a result to the attack.
Tarek Zaghloul, member of 6th of April Youth Movement, who was in Tahrir during the time of the attacks, said he did not see the attackers. “Accusing Tahrir Square protesters of carrying out such actions is a shameful attempt to distort our image. We are peaceful protesters and we would never that.”