Daily News Egypt

Man shot in Corniche Al-Nil clashes - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Man shot in Corniche Al-Nil clashes

Primary medical report proves Khaled Mustafa was shot

Egyptian protesters carry Khaled Mustafa during clashes with riot police near Tahrir Square in Cairo (AFP Photo)
Egyptian protesters carry Khaled Mustafa during clashes with riot police near Tahrir Square in Cairo
(AFP Photo)

The primary medical report of Khaled Mustafa, who was shot during clashes in Cairo, states his injuries were caused by birdshot and a serious laceration of the brain.

Mustafa was killed near Corniche Al-Nil on Saturday during clashes which erupted in the vicinity of Tahrir Square following the verdicts of the Port Said massacre trial.

The Nation Without Torture movement published a copy of the medical report on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

“We are yet to find out whether it was the birdshot or the brain laceration which caused his death,” said Hend Nafea, one of the movement’s founding members.

Mustafa’s father stated in a video that Mustafa was shot twice in the head and neck. The shooting was caught on camera, in a video showing Mustafa falling to the ground after shots were fired by Central Security Forces (CSF) officers.

“We filed a report with the prosecutor general regarding Mustafa’s death,” Mustafa’s father said, adding that the video was attached to the report. “I blame the minister of interior, as well as the security forces stationed near Corniche Al-Nil, for his death.”

Anas Saleh, Mustafa’s lawyer, said that four witnesses have testified to the prosecution, stating they saw the CSF officers shoot Mustafa. “Mustafa was at the front row of protesters,” Saleh said. “They shot him as he turned around to run.”

A fifth witnessed testified to the prosecution denying the other witnesses’ stories. “He stated that Mustafa was accidentally shot by a protester who was aiming his gun at the police,” Saleh said.

In a press conference held on Sunday, Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim denied that the police shot Mustafa. “He was walking with a man holding a gun, away from the clashes. A shot was accidentally fired from the man’s gun, hitting Mustafa,” Ibrahim claimed.

The minister added that a friend of Mustafa accompanied him to the hospital and later told the prosecution that the police were not responsible for his death. In the same press conference, the minister denied that the police had fired a single shot at protesters since the January 2011 Revolution.

A funeral was held for Mustafa in his hometown of Al-Fashn in Beni Suef on Sunday. Mustafa was a member of the Popular Current.


Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter