A pedestrian bridge in Obour City collapsed on Saturday, killing four and injuring 12. The bridge was located near Souq Al-Obour, crossing the Cairo-Ismailia desert road. The victims were all passengers in a minibus which had been passing under the bridge, which was under construction.
The military confirmed the casualty count and extended its condolences to the victims and their families.
The statement issued by the Armed Forces said the injured were being treated at the International Medical Centre.
The construction was carried out by a private company contracted by the armed forces. The military is set to form a committee to investigate the cause of the accident and determine who was responsible for the fatal collapse.
The army also said that it would give EGP 100,000 to the families of the dead and EGP 25,000 to the injured.