The family of ousted president Mohamed Morsi said they will appeal to international organisations for his release during a Monday press conference at the Syndicate of Engineers.
Lawyer Osama Morsi, the ousted president’s son, said there would be an effort to appeal to the International Criminal Court and international human rights organisations to investigate what he considered a “kidnapping” that represented a “farce by all standards.”
He denied that the family was able to contact Morsi after 3 July, when he was removed from power by the army, and said he would only seek legal escalation in a way that did not require foreign intervention.
Osama Morsi added that the detention of the ousted president and the lack of information regarding his whereabouts and condition are in violation of human rights standards. He denied reports of Morsi’s ailing health, saying he had experienced liver problems in the past, but had been cured of his ailment.
ShaimaMorsi, the ex-president’s daughter, also called on human rights organisations to condemn “the kidnapping”.
The armed forces have claimed they are holding Mohamed Morsi for his own safety and the security of the country. In a statement on Sunday night, it denied that charges had been filed against the ousted president, as some media reports had indicated.
Morsi’s release and reinstatement as president has been a demand of the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups supporting the former president, who have taken to the streets against what they call a “coup against legitimacy.”