The Egyptian Organisation for Human Rights announced the establishment on Tuesday of an “Observatory for Violence” in order to keep track of “terrorist actions” and “violent incidents.”
The newly-formed observatory started recording deaths in violent altercations on the night of Friday 26 July on Nasr Road near the pro-Morsi Rabaa Al-Adaweya sit-in.
Head of EOHR Hafez Abu Seada in a press statement said that violence only leads to more violence and stressed the importance of political reconciliation as a means of overcoming this, urging protesters to abide by international standards of peaceful protest.
The observatory released its findings, recording the number of civilian deaths, as well as security personnel killed in clashes. Violence on Friday night and Saturday morning left 87 civilians dead on Nasr Road and eight in Alexandria and two police officers dead.
The statement also recorded attacks and violence in Sinai, which has risen since former president Mohamed Morsi’s ouster.
Earlier this week EOHR asked all groups “to refrain from using violence in order to protect the Egyptian nation.”
“EOHR calls [on] all entities to refrain from inciting violence, stressing that what is happening now is a violation of the right to life stipulated by all the international covenants of human rights,” it said in a statement issued on Saturday, warning that some of the parties involved “do not oppose dragging the country into a civil war.”
The group also called for immediate investigations for the violence that occurred in Cairo and Alexandria on Friday night.