Supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi marched on Monday to the High Court, demanding the removal of Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat.
Barakat was appointed by interim president Adly Mansour to replace Talaat Abdallah, the Morsi-appointed prosecutor general.
Alaa Ibrahim, one of the protesters who marched to the High Court, said the march roamed Cairo’s downtown streets before stopping in front of the High Court.
“There are calls for staging a sit-in outside the High Court,” said Ibrahim, who spoke on behalf of the pro-Morsi Anti-Coup Alliance. “We’re yet to find out if those calls will be met. So far, we aren’t holding a sit-in, just a protest.”
Ibrahim said if a sit-in is held, it will not be dispersed until the prosecutor general is removed from his post.
Tarek Al-Morsi, Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) spokesman, said a High Court sit-in could neither be confirmed nor denied at the moment.
“All options to facing this bloody coup, through legitimate channels, are being considered,” Al-Morsi said.
Al-Morsi said the current situation “forces” the National Coalition to Support Legitimacy (NCSL) to take “unannounced decisions”. The NCSL includes a group of pro-Morsi political movements, most notably the FJP and Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya’s Building and Development Party.
“There’s a possibility that pro-Morsi protesters will head to Tahrir Square next Friday and perform the prayers there,” Al-Morsi said. “It is a suggestion supported by many within the NCSL.”
Tahrir Square currently hosts an anti-Morsi sit-in which was assembled in late June.
Ibrahim said plans to head for Tahrir Square on Friday are “unconfirmed”.
Pro-Morsi supporters have been going out on nationwide marches and protests since the former president’s ouster on 3 July.