Daily News Egypt

Foreign ministry backtracks, says Egyptian national in Libya not kidnapped - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area



Advertising Area



Foreign ministry backtracks, says Egyptian national in Libya not kidnapped

Ministry stresses need for accurate, “cautious” reporting


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement late Sunday declaring that the 15 year-old Egyptian national that disappeared in Libya was not kidnapped, stressing the need for journalists to accurately and cautiously report news.

The ministry noted “sources” which blamed the girl’s disappearance on “family disputes”, adding that “efforts are underway to resolve the differences” between the families.

The Egyptian consulate in Libya is allegedly attempting to resolve the dispute.

The statement was released just hours after the ministry released a statement notifying the public that the ministry was “following ongoing reports of the abduction of the Egyptian Mennatullah Mohammed”.

The ministry’s statement also said a “situation room” had been set up to monitor updates in the case.

State-run news agency MENA corroborated the foreign ministry’s report, adding that “unknown gunmen” were behind the 15 year-old’s disappearance.

Tensions between Egypt and its troubled neighbour Libya have been on the rise recently as a string of killings and kidnappings has targeted Egyptian nationals.

Within a period of four days in late March, two Egyptians were shot and killed in Benghazi. Earlier in the month, another Egyptian national was gunned down in the same city.

In response to the spate of killings, Egypt issued a travel ban on Libya in March. The foreign ministry called on Egyptians in Libya to take caution during their travel within the country.

Advertising Area



https://dailyfeed.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/04/28/foreign-ministry-backtracks-says-egyptian-national-libya-kidnapped/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe