Ministry of Interior spokesman Hany Abdelatif announced Sunday that 31 “terror cells” were uncovered and arrested during the last month and a half.
Abdelatif’s statement, reported in state-owned MENA, claimed that the ministry “foiled terrorist plots that aimed at disrupting the [recent] presidential elections, the bombing of subway stations,” among other targets.
Some of those arrested, according to Abdelatif, were in possession of grenades, firearms, and improvised explosive devices. The ministry’s spokesman also alleged that the arrested cells were part of a Muslim Brotherhood plot to “destabilise trust between citizens and the police,” while trying to spread chaos to the streets.
Abdelatif said the confiscated weapons and explosives were to be used to attack security forces during Brotherhood marches.
After a period of relative calm, Egypt has witnessed a drastic increase in bombings. Over the last two weeks, 16 bombs have gone off in Cairo and Alexandria. Three bombs exploded at the Presidential Palace on 30 June, killing two police officers.
Shortly after, five bombs exploded at Metro stations across Cairo, killing one and wounding six.
On 3 July, the one year anniversary of Mohamed Morsi’s ouster, four bombs exploded in Cairo, killing two. Security forces said both the fatalities were transporting the bombs.
On 4 July, a bomb exploded in a Fayoum facility believed to be used for making improvised explosive devices. Three were killed, although the Brotherhood put the number of fatalities at six.
Later that evening, a bomb tore through a train in Alexandria, killing one and injuring a number of others.