Egypt’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned two separate deadly attacks that took place in Kenya and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), in statements made Saturday.
Foreign ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatty expressed “Egypt’s full condemnation of the terrorist attack that took place in northeast Kenya, near the Somali border” on Saturday.
The Kenyan Ministry of Interior said on Twitter: “Bandits ambushed a bus from Mandera that was heading to Nairobi at dawn and killed 28 passengers of the 60 that were in the bus.”
Kenya’s cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku said in a media address: “Some leaders have been inciting Kenyans against religious lines. But I clarify that this is a criminal gang.”
Somalia-based militant group Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack in Kenya.
The Kenya Defence Forces carried out offensive action against the attackers, destroying their camp and “killing many”. The defence forces used helicopters and jets in the operation.
In another statement, the foreign ministry spokesman expressed “condemnation in the strongest terms” on behalf of Egypt for a deadly attack that took place in the DRC, leaving around 50 dead. He also expressed Egypt’s condolences to the DRC government and to families of victims.
The attack took place last week in North Kivu province and local civil society groups believe that the death toll is between 50 and 80 people. Many of the victims’ throats were slit during the attack, Reuters reported.
The Congolese army is searching for the perpetrators, Associated Press reported.
Abdelatty stressed that terrorism is a “global phenomenon targeting security, stability and development across the world”. He added that this requires concerted regional and international efforts to eliminate it.