The Egyptian Foreign Ministry announced Friday that the total numbers of Egyptians returning via EgyptAir flights and over the Salloum border crossing has reached 25,529.
The statement said 4,122 citizens returned via Egypt Air flights up until 26 February, and 21,407 Egyptians have crossed into Egypt through the Salloum border crossing.
The flow of Egyptians from Libya increased following the beheading of 20 Egyptians Copts, in an attack claimed by “Islamic State” affiliates in Libya, in a video released on 15 February.
Egypt responded to the attack by launching airstrikes in coordination with the Libyan government on the city of Derna, where the militant’s targets are believed to be.
Libyan Prime Minister Abdallah Al-Thinni, of the internationally-recognised government based in Tobruk, previously told Daily News Egypt that “the airstrikes will continue”, without specifying a timeframe.
Egyptian Defence Minister Sedki Sobhi met with Libya’s Defence Minister-designate Masoud Rahouma on developments in Libya. The duo discussed bilateral cooperation and security coordination in the upcoming stage to achieve common interests. They also exchanged military expertise to fight terrorism and secure the border, according to a statement released by the military spokesman Friday.