Daily News Egypt

More explosions hit Cairo - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area




Advertising Area




More explosions hit Cairo

Escalation of terror attacks expected, says Interior Ministry


By Toqa Ezzidin

Two more bombs exploded in the neighbourhood of Matariya Tuesday morning. No injuries were reported. However, the explosions damaged two branches of telecommunications company stores.

Matariya has been witnessing a turbulent security situation since the ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood regime in 2013. Bomb explosions have become very frequent, targeting shop owners there, yet no certain group has claimed responsibility for the bombs.

A bomb had also exploded in front of the High Court of Justice in Downtown Cairo on Monday, resulting in two deaths and 11 injuries.

“More terrorist attacks are expected,” Interior Ministry spokesperson Hany Abdel Latif said on Monday in a phone call to a private TV channel, following the high court explosion.  He added the ministry’s Information Systems Department is currently searching security footage for further clues on the explosion.

Other explosions took place on Monday in Cairo in a deserted space near Maadi’s fire station; an improvised explosive device went off, causing no injuries. Another explosive device went off in front of a police station in Al-Nozha, causing no injuries. According to Abdel Latif, security forces managed to prevent an explosion on the 26 July Axis.

Abdel Latif confirmed that all seven policemen injured in the High Court explosion are in stable condition, and two civilians were discharged from hospital after examinations. He also confirmed that security forces are operating to capture terrorist organisations. The capture of terrorist cells specialised in making bombs and planting them on Egypt’s streets, especially in Alexandria, will be announced shortly, he said.

However, Health Ministry spokesperson Hossam Abdel Ghaffar told state-run news agency MENA that two civilians were killed in the explosion. The two victims killed in the incident have been identified as 22-year-old Mohammed Adel and 24-year-old Ahmed Saeed Fawzy, along with the 11 others injured.

Explosions  across Egypt have increased after the militant insurgency in Sinai that followed the ouster of Muslim Brotherhood government in July 2013. The recent bomb in Downtown Cairo is also not the first to have occurred in the area.

Earlier in February, a bomb went off in Qasr Al-Nil Street causing no injuries. In January, another bomb went off targeting the Cairo Security Directorate and resulted in four deaths and injured approximately 76 persons.

Advertising Area



https://dailyfeed.dailynewsegypt.com/2015/03/03/more-explosions-hit-cairo/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe