Various embassies, as well as the US State Department, released statements of condemnation on Thursday after terrorist attacks left dozens of Egyptian soldiers killed in the Sinai Peninsula on Wednesday.
“The embassy condemns today’s terrorist attacks in North Sinai and reaffirms its solidarity and support for the Egyptian military and people in the fight against terrorism,” a US embassy press release read.
John Kirby, spokesperson of the US State Department, said that the US is “steadfast in its support of the Egyptian government’s efforts to combat terrorism in Egypt”.
In a Thursday statement, the European Union wrote: “As the EU, we are steadfast and resolute in our support for the people and government of Egypt in the fight against terrorism. The perpetrators and sponsors of this attack must be brought to justice.”
The Dutch embassy also issued condolences to the victims of the attack and said in a statement: “The Netherlands stands with Egypt in these difficult times and remains committed as a partner in its transition towards rule of law and democracy.
Japan also expressed solidarity with the Egyptian government stating that: “Japan hopes that security in Egypt will be stabilised promptly and will actively support Egypt’s efforts for establishment and development of a democratic society as well as realisation of economic and social stability.”
“State of Sinai” militants, who have previously pledged allegiance to “Islamic State” (IS), attacked multiple security checkpoints in Sheikh Zuweid on Wednesday. Intensive fighting resumed between the army and militants in the North Sinai city, leaving unconfirmed numbers of deaths on both sides.
According to a number of unconfirmed reports, the number of soldiers killed in the North Sinai attacks were up to 70.
Meanwhile, security sources told Aswat Masriya that the Egyptian military killed 22 “State of Sinai” members on Thursday.
In a Wednesday statement, the armed forces claimed they had killed over 100 “terrorists” and said that 17 army personnel were killed.
The attacks came following the assassination of Egypt’s Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat in a car bomb attack on Tuesday in Heliopolis.
The US State Department released a statement that also expressed its “deepest condolences to the Egyptian government” and restated that it “stands firmly with the Egyptian government in its efforts to confront terrorism”.