An injured suspect and his partner have escaped a military pursuit, in a mountainous area located between North and Central Sinai, the Egyptian army said in a press statement.
The military said they injured the suspects and seized their vehicle, which contained large amounts of weaponry. A four-wheel-drive was reportedly seen escaping the security patrol in Central Sinai.
Security forces found a Kalashnikov and automatic rifles with ammunition, in addition to explosive material and equipment. The army did not reveal which militant group is suspected to be responsible, but said that a list containing the “names of leaders” to be caught for financial reward was also found.
The army added that there were ongoing patrols to prevent the infiltration of “terrorist elements” from North Sinai, where the military has been engaged in a long war with militant groups, to central and southern areas of the peninsula.
A bomb targeting a bus carrying soldiers exploded and injured 18 conscripts on Sunday morning in the North Sinai town of Al-Arish. “State of Sinai”, the local based militant group affiliated to “Islamic State”, claimed responsibility for the bombing later on the same day.
Last week, three army personnel were killed Saturday in Sheikh Zuweid after militants attacked a checkpoint with a rocket.
After two years of the ongoing ‘war on terrorism’, Sinai is in an extended emergency state. Curfew hours have been extended in a recent government decision.