Egypt condemned the terror attack that struck Burkina Faso’s capital, Ouagadougou, killing 29 persons.
The spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the condolences of the Egyptian government for the victims, noting that Egypt stands with the people and the government of Burkina Faso against terrorism.
After a 15-hour siege, security forces in Burkina Faso, backed by French troops, managed Saturday to retake the Splendid Hotel and Cappuccino Cafe in Ouagadougou. Twenty-nine persons were killed and 56 were injured by the Al-Qaeda affiliated militants who stormed the hotel and cafe on Friday night.
The attack is considered a new escalation from extremists based in West Africa, in a country that is considered an ally of the West.
“The Burkinabe nation is in shock,” said Burkinabe President Roch Marc Christian Kabor, who swore in last month.
“For the first time in its history, our country has fallen victim to a series of barbaric terrorist attacks,” he said, adding that the people of Burkina Faso would nevertheless “emerge victorious”.
The French ambassador to Burkina Faso said on Twitter that French and American troops participated in the operation to evacuate the hostages.
The Burkinabe security forces said four of the attackers were killed.
Burkina Faso currently hosts 200 French security personnel under the framework of anti-extremist operations.
Further, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed that six Canadians were killed during the attack in Burkina Faso. He added that Canada offered help to the Burkinabe government to investigate this attack.
The US Department of State also confirmed the death of one American.
British Foreign Minister Phillip Hammond condemned the attack, urging British citizens to avoid the area of the attack.
“We advise British nationals in Burkina Faso to avoid the area where the attack took place, follow the instructions of local security authorities, and monitor Foreign Office (FCO) travel advice,” he said.
Meanwhile, Kabor said two Australians who have lived in the country since 1972 were kidnapped in northern Burkina Faso. Their abduction happened concurrently with the attack on the hotel.
It is still not clear whether the two events are related or occurred in coordination.
A spokesperson of Ansar Al-Din extremist group said to an Australian radio station that an Al-Qaeda affiliate group kidnapped the two Australian nationals. More information is expected to be released soon.
The Australian government has yet to confirm their location.
Speaking at Al-Azhar in December, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi highlighted regional conflict to legitimate his political mandate, suggesting that political dissent will be detrimental to the country.
“Look at other neighbouring countries; I do not want to mention names, but they have been suffering from mayhem for 30 years and cannot return to normalcy. Countries that are destroyed never go back.”