Six alleged extremists were killed and four others injured on Friday in a military operation by the third field armed in North Sinai, the military spokesperson Tamer Al-Refaie said in a statement.
According to the statement, the third field army attacked a den of extremists on Friday and destroyed 7 vehicles and 133 motor bikes. The army also found 3,500 bombs.
In the same context, the military announced on Saturday that they have arrested five suspects accused of supporting terror groups in central Sinai and destroyed four motor bikes and five terrorist dens, in addition to burning four cannabis farms, according to the statement.
The military and security forces have been fighting against the terror group “Sinai Province”, a group previously known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, in North Sinai since 2013. In 2014, the group declared its allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) and has launched deadly attacks on army and police checkpoints.
Moreover, Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Waly said on Friday that the 120 Christian families who fled from North Sinai after threats by the IS militants were settled in Al-Mostakbal City, state media reported.
Waly added that the ministry coordinated about 17 displaced families in Port Said and allocated EGP 1,500 for each family to rent residential apartments.
On February, dozens of Christian families in North Sinai had fled to Ismailia after the IS released a new video, issuing fierce threats against the Christian citizens of Egypt, accusing them of insulting Islam and threatening to carry out more attacks against them.