Daily News Egypt

Court postpones verdict in the Al-Fatah Mosque case - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Court postpones verdict in the Al-Fatah Mosque case

The defendants include a number of high profile Muslim Brotherhood youth cadres 

The Cairo Criminal Court postponed Monday the verdict of 493 defendants in the Al-Fatah Mosque case to 15 September, state media reported.

The defendants include several high-profile Muslim Brotherhood youth cadres and preachers known to have supported the group.

They are charged with murder, attempted murder, violating Al-Fatah mosque, protesting, torching public and private properties, attacking security personnel, and possessing live weapons, birdshot firearms, and ammunition.

The first trial session took place in August 2014.

Amnesty International reported that the judges “who made up a court panel which was due to hear the case recused themselves on account of objections raised by the defendants’ lawyers”.

Among the defendants is Egyptian-Irish citizen Ibrahim Halawa, who Amnesty International considered a “prisoner of conscience”, arguing that if convicted he could face the death penalty.

“Ibrahim was shot in his hand when the security forces stormed the building, but was not given access to medical care for his injury, and the only treatment he received was from a cellmate who happened to be a doctor,” the organisation said in an earlier statement.

Islamic preacher Salah Soltan, father of the hunger striking detainee Mohamed Soltan, is among the defendants.

Violent clashes took place around and inside Al-Fath Mosque, two days following the forced dispersal of the encampments in support of ousted president Mohamed Morsi in August 2013. The clashes left over 90 dead, according to Amnesty International.

The organisation argued that the high death toll was a result of the “reckless use of force by the security forces”. The Egyptian government, however, blamed the Muslim Brotherhood, arguing that police forces provided “a safe exist for peaceful protesters”.

On 16 August, after the Friday prayers protests started after the Friday sermon reaching Ramses Square in downtown. The demonstrations were confronted by riot police, taking refuge in the mosque. After hours of confrontations, security forces broke into the mosque and arrested scores of protesters.

Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter