Security forces in the Gaza Strip said Friday they arrested a wanted radical suspect, currently under interrogation.
According to Palestinian media Al-Quds on Saturday, he is one of the most wanted and was captured in Rafah near the border with Egypt, along with three others. The news website said the security raid came shortly after Deputy Interior Ministry Tawfiq Abu Naim announced the completion of a buffer zone between the Gaza Strip and Sinai.
In an interview published Saturday in the leading Egyptian pro-state newspaper Al-Youm Al-Sabea, Deputy Interior Ministry Tawfiq Abu Naim said the wire barbs, security cameras, and an operation room have been installed in the buffer zone.
Earlier in July, it was announced that construction had started to establish the first phase of a closed military zone on the borderline extending 12 kilometres, with a monitoring system. This comes as Egypt launched last week its third phase of its own borderline military buffer zone in Sinai.
Amid ongoing proceeding towards restoring relations with Egypt, Hamas officials asserted on several occasion their commitment to safeguarding Egypt’s national security interests. Abu Naim reflected this approach in his statements saying Gaza should not be a “headache” to Egypt.
An upcoming meeting to continue discussions on the Hamas-Fatah reconciliation is expected to take place in Cairo this week after a first step consisting of Hamas opening the way for the Palestinian Authority cabinet to convene in Gaza, in the presence of Head of the Egyptian General Intelligence Khaled Fawzy.