Daily News Egypt

Egypt's top prosecutor signs judicial cooperation MoU with Kuwait - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area




Advertising Area




Egypt’s top prosecutor signs judicial cooperation MoU with Kuwait

MoU includes combating crimes, exchanging intelligence


Cybercrime perpetrators residing in Kuwait who aim to harm the national security of Egypt will be arrested and handed over to Egypt, and vice versa, Egypt’s Prosecutor General, Nabil Sadek, told Middle East News Agency (MENA) on Monday.

Sadek signed on Sunday a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on judicial cooperation with his Kuwaiti counterpart Dherar Al-Asousi between the two countries.

Egypt’s Prosecutor General’s office revealed that the new cooperation will include combating crimes, upgrading the proficiency of prosecution members in the two countries, exchanging intelligence as well as handing over suspected criminals.

Meanwhile, the MoU includes cases of money laundering, the embezzlement of public funds and the handover of defendants and suspect terrorists, Al-Asousi told Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Anba on Monday.

In a meeting between the two top prosecutors, Sadek affirmed that the MoU has nothing to do with what became known as the “Kuwaiti cell,”, adding that the handover of eight suspect terrorists last month came as part of joint security agreements between Kuwait and Egypt, MENA reported. 

Earlier in July, Kuwaiti authorities handed over eight Egyptians to their country’s security forces over charges of terrorism.

The suspect Muslim Brotherhood members are on trial and charged with joining a banned “terrorist organisation that works to undermine state institutions.”

The Brotherhood is already considered an “outlawed” group in Egypt and other allied countries, such as the UAE and Saudi Arabia, however, it is not banned yet in Kuwait.

In April this year, the White House said that United States President, Donald Trump, plans to designate the Brotherhood as a foreign terrorist organisation too.

Following the extradition of the eight suspects, 300 Egyptian citizens reportedly belonging to the Brotherhood left Kuwait fearing arrest, heading to Turkey, Britain, and other Arab countries according to Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Qabas, which cited high profile security sources.

Advertising Area



https://dailyfeed.dailynewsegypt.com/2019/09/02/egypts-top-prosecutor-signs-judicial-cooperation-mou-with-kuwait/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe