The 369 Egyptians who had returned to Egypt from China’s Wuhan city, where COVID-19 was first identified, finished on Monday their 14-day quarantine with the final health check showing no health risk.
In a press conference, Health Minister Hala Zayed said all tests conducted on the 369 citizens came out negative. The incubation period for COVID-19 is 14 days.
The Egyptian government allocated El-Negelah Central Hospital in Matrouh as a quarantine hospital to house the returnees.
The ministry already allocated nine buses to take the citizens back to their residencies in Cairo and Alexandria, in addition to providing three ambulances to take the pregnant women to their homes accompanied with doctors.
On 3 February, the special jet Egypt sent to bring back hundreds of nationals from Wuhan arrived at Al Alamain International Airport with 302 passengers on board.
Meanwhile, Zayed confirmed that the person who tested positive for the COVID-19 last week is in good health, without any symptoms of the disease.
Last Friday, Egypt reported the first COVID-19 case in the country, and that the infected person was a foreigner, without giving further details. In addition,
eight cases of COVID-19 have been reported in the UAE. The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on 16 February, a total of nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Eastern Mediterranean.
The outbreak of the COVID-19 has already killed 1,770 people, and more than 70,500 were infected globally. The WHO’s chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that it is “impossible to predict which direction this epidemic will take.”
Tedros said on Sunday on Twitter: “International experts participated in a WHO-led joint mission to China and have arrived in Beijing and have had their first meeting with Chinese counterparts today.”