Daily News Egypt

Government announces measures to protect construction workers from COVID-19 spread - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area




Government announces measures to protect construction workers from COVID-19 spread

Companies which want to continue, or halt operating have to commit to state preventive measures, the PM said


 Egypt Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly held a meeting to address the state’s preventive and precautionary measures to curb the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) among construction workers, according to a Wednesday statement. 

 

 Madbouly met with Minister of Housing Asem El-Gazzar, Minister of Transportation Kamel El-Wazeer, head of Armed Forces Engineering Authority Ehab El-Far, and head Egyptian Federation for Construction and Building Contractors Mohamed Sami Saad. 

During the meeting, El-Gazzar asserted that there is full coordination between the concerned parties to preserve the health of workers and to halt the spread of coronavirus. 

“Our priority is to preserve the safety and health of construction workers,” El-Gazzar said. The minister ordered the implementation of strict precautionary measures and to follow the medical instructions of the Health Ministry to limit the spread of the virus among workers.  

 

 El-Wazeer said that the companies which continue to operate have to circulate awareness-raising on the best preventive practices. 

El-Wazeer asserted that companies must install body temperature detectors and reduce the number of commuters who use their transportation.

Also, companies must provide workers, engineers, and other employees with face masks and disinfectants. The enterprises also have to regularly sterilise and disinfect sites, prevent workers from eating together, ensure distances between them and use disposable cutlery and cups, the statement stated. 

In case of suspecting a coronavirus infection, the patient has to be quarantined and will receive their salary during the period of quarantine or treatment, the statement said. 

On the other hand, the companies that want to completely suspend working amid coronavirus fears, they are obliged to pay the salaries of all workers. This has to come in parallel with sterilising and disinfecting the construction sites. 

El-Wazeer added that they will review compensating companies with 50% of the salaries of temporary workers during the suspension period. 

He noted that they will ensure that workers and engineers at construction sites at projects in remote areas such as the New Valley, Red Sea, Sinai and mountainous areas will stay there for two weeks while increasing their financial incentives. 

 Earlier on Tuesday, Madbouly announced new strict measures to curb coronavirus outbreak. He announced a night curfew from 19:00 to 6:00 starting Wednesday for two weeks and halting all public and private transportation during the curfew time. 

 

 Madbouly also announced that suspension of all state services except for the issuance of births and deaths certificates, adding that all commercial shops will be closed from 19:00 to 6:00 daily and they will be fully closed on Friday and Saturday, excluding pharmacies, bakeries, and grocery shops.

Advertising Area

https://dailyfeed.dailynewsegypt.com/2020/03/26/government-announces-measures-to-protect-construction-workers-from-covid-19-spread/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe