Egyptians repatriated from abroad will have to sign consent to go into a 14-day quarantine upon their return, cabinet spokesperson Nader Saad said on Tuesday.
In televised remarks on TV show Ala Masuolity, Saad added that Egyptians repatriated from abroad in upcoming flights will have to stay in quarantine hotels at their expense. They will, however, receive all needed health care free of charge.
Saad said that Egypt is one of the first countries to evacuate its nationals upon those citizens’ requests. The government bears the costs of sending aeroplanes, with those citizens, in turn, required to pay the costs of their stay in the quarantine hotels, he added.
Saad also said that the Ministry of Health is cooperating with the Ministry of Tourism to offer ‘big discounts deals’ for Egyptians who will be quarantined.
He described some Egyptians evacuated from Kuwait on Monday who refused to go into quarantine as “irresponsible”. He added that all countries are applying this measure to their nationals.
A viral video showed Egyptian passengers who were reportedly repatriated from Kuwait chanting at International Cairo Airport, “We will not go into quarantine.”
Earlier on Tuesday, the Ministry of Health announced that all Egyptians repatriated from abroad will be required to sign consent before going into a 14-day quarantine upon their return. This decision will be applied starting Tuesday on Egyptians who will be evacuating from Paris and London.