The city of El Tur has confirmed its first cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the South Sinai Health Directorate announced in a statement on Sunday. A banker and his family have been placed in quarantine in the city after they tested positive for the virus.
The directorate said that the banker, who had been working in Nuweiba, tested positive for the coronavirus and had transmitted it to his family.
The directorate added that all those who had come into contact with the banker, including his colleagues, have been quarantined for 14 days.
Some of those who came into contact with the banker have themselves tested positive for the coronavirus and were transferred to a quarantine hospital.
“It turned out that the banker visited El Tur General Hospital before heading to Sharm El-Sheikh Hospital,” the Directorate said in its statement.
It added that it is conducting an investigation into the measures that were taken with the infected banker to reveal if there was an omission at the two hospitals.
The number of coronavirus infections in New Valley governorate increased by 14 cases, and two deaths. All cases have been found among workers and patients in the Dakhla General Hospital.
New Valley Governor Mohamed Zamlot said in a statement on Sunday that they are tracking all those who have come into contact with infected cases. They are also tracking those who have come into contact with medical staff from the Dakhla General Hospital, which was partially closed.
Meanwhile, the Health Ministry reported on Sunday 215 new coronavirus cases and 10 new deaths, raising the country’s total to 4,534 cases and 317 deaths. A total of 1,176 cases have recovered.
In Suez, a family of six have tested positive for the coronavirus and were transferred to the quarantine hospital in Ismailia. The family consists of a father, his wife, his mother-in-law, and three children. The father was confirmed as the source of the virus in the family.
The Suez Canal University has declared a state-of-emergency at its university hospitals after a 55-year-old man from Ismailia was found to have the coronavirus at one of its affiliated hospitals.
Osama Antar, Dean of the University’s Medicine College said that all medical staff who dealt with the infected case have been placed in quarantine at homes for 14 days. He added that all workers at the university hospitals have undertaken coronavirus tests as a precautionary measure.
Meanwhile, a doctor was transferred to a quarantine hospital in Kafr El-Zayat after he tested positive for the coronavirus. He was working at Berket Al Sabee Centeral Hospital in Menoufiya.
Earlier on Friday, the Medical Syndicate announced the death of another healthcare professional from the coronavirus. Dr Ashraf Adly, a consultant cardiologist and the Head of the Cardiology Department at Qena General Hospital died at a quarantine hospital in Aswan. The total number of doctors who have died from the coronavirus has now reached five.
Earlier, the syndicate said that 43 doctors have been infected with the coronavirus, although no new data has been issued on new infections.