The Egyptian Medical Syndicate (EMS) announced the death of Egyptian doctor Tarek Mekhaimer in Kuwait as he served on the frontlines combating the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
In a statement on Saturday, the EMS said the 62 year-old Mekhaimer, who had been working in Kuwait for 20 years, had died after contracting the infection during his work.
“I offer my condolences on the death of brother Dr Tarek Mekhaimer, the ENT doctor, who was affected by complications from the emerging coronavirus,” Kuwaiti Minister of Health Basil Al-Sabah said via his Twitter account.
Egypt’s Minister of Manpower Mohamed Saafan said on Friday that he has received a detailed report on the case from his ministry’s representative at the Egyptian embassy in Kuwait. Saafan added that he has also received the latest updates on Egyptian workers in the country.
Two flights carrying 330 Egyptian nationals which had been stranded in Kuwait arrived at Cairo Airport on Friday. The arrivals come as the first step in repatriating all Egyptian expatriates who are currently stranded in the Gulf country.
Last week, Kuwait’s Ministry of Interior announced that its forces broke up a riot instigated by Egyptian workers seeking repatriation. The Egyptian nationals were being held in shelters set aside for those who had violated the state’s residency laws. The Egyptian embassy in Kuwait apologised for the riots, and reassured workers that repatriation flights will begin this week.