Egypt registered on Wednesday 409 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, raising the total number of infections to 93,356, said the Health Ministry. Death toll from the disease rose to 4,728 after 37 fatalities were added, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said in a statement.
The spokesman said that 1,066 coronavirus patients left hospitals in the past 24 hours after fully cured, bringing the total number of recoveries in the country to 37,025.
Egypt announced its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Feb. 14 and the first death from the highly infectious virus on March 8.
Earlier on Wednesday, Egypt’s Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said that Egypt may adopt strict preventive measures again if coronavirus infections resurge, adding that the public gardens and beaches will remain closed during Eid al-Adha’s four-day holiday to prevent possible gatherings.
The country has resumed at the beginning of July the international flights, lifted a partial nighttime curfew it has been imposing since late March and reopened restaurants, cafes, theaters and cinemas, as well as hotels, museums and archeological sites, all with limited capacity.
Abdel Fattah Ahmed, member of Egypt’s Doctors Syndicate board told Xinhua that daily COVID-19 cases and daily death cases have declined over the past three weeks, adding that several quarantine hospitals have been closed.
He explained that the country’s strict precautionary measures over the past few months and the weakness of the coronavirus have contributed to the decrease of the cases.
Egypt and China have been cooperating closely in fighting the pandemic through exchanging medical aid and expertise. In early February, Egypt provided aid to China to help with its fight against COVID-19 and China later sent three batches of medical aid to the North African country, the latest of which was in mid-May.