Saudi Health Ministry announced on Thursday that so far Hajj pilgrims have been free from coronavirus (COVID-19).
The health condition of pilgrims, who will perform the peak of Hajj on Arafat mount this year, is reassuring, the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry confirmed that an integrated system of health facilities is available throughout the Hajj ritual sites, including the follow-up of implementing precautionary measures set.
Meanwhile, the ministry announced the registration of 1,629 new coronavirus cases across the kingdom, increasing the accumulated infections to 274,219.
It also said 2,629 cases have newly recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 231,198, while 26 new deaths were reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total fatalities to 2,842.
Muslims in Saudi Arabia began the annual five-day Hajj pilgrimage, on Wednesday, which this year is taking place on a much smaller scale due to the ongoing novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
One of the five pillars of Islam, the Hajj is a requirement on able-bodied Muslims, who must perform it at least once in their lifetime. Over 2 million pilgrims usually travel to the western Saudi city of Mecca from around the world to take part, with huge numbers descending on the pilgrimage sites. However, a total of 10,000 people, who are already residing in Saudi Arabia, have been allowed to attend this year.