Lebanon President Michel Aoun ordered, on Wednesday, high-priority investigations into the two explosions that took place on Tuesday evening at the Beirut port and left at least 100 dead and almost 4,000 injured. He added that those responsible for the incident will be held accountable.
“We are determined to proceed with the investigations, uncover the circumstances of what happened as quickly as possible, hold the officials and all others involved accountable, and impose the harshest penalties on them,” Aoun said. “We will announce with transparency the results of the investigations that will be conducted by the investigation committee.”
Aoun called on the High Relief Commission to intensify its work to conduct a comprehensive survey and provide the necessary compensation to the victims and their families.
In turn, Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that the investigation file is a priority, and its results should be rapid. He called for an intensification of rescue efforts in recovering victims, searching for the missing, and treating the wounded. Support is also set to be given in providing temporary shelter to those left homeless by the incident or whose houses were damaged.
A survey of the damage caused by the explosions will also be carried out quickly, and disburse urgent aid to repair the damage.
On Tuesday, two huge explosion rocked Beirut’s port area which could be felt across the city. Several buildings were destroyed or damaged, with some even reporting that balconies collapsed.
The Secretary-General of the Lebanese Red Cross, George Kettana, confirmed on Wednesday that “there are 100 martyrs and more than 4,000 wounded so far.”